Thursday, January 22, 2009

the purpose of trials

Like many of you, I set some "realistic" goals for 2009. So far, I am on the right track on some of them, but of course I still need to work on some others. I expect 2009 is going to be a great year for our family. Now for a small little brag session..... Our sweet big boy is growing up and playing basketball now. He had is first game this past Saturday, and it was a hoot! Maddie is getting so big! She is such a sweet,precious girl. She is becoming a really good little reader. Brittany is the best teenager a mom could ever ask for. She does what she needs to do to get straight A's without me even telling her. She has such great goals and ambitions for herself. She is driving once again too. I am just so proud of the beautiful girl she is both inside and out. Jeff and I are striving to work together as a team with our new schedules now that I am working. This has been a struggle, but I know we will get it! My hope is that we will strive to continue to grow in the Lord by seeking the changes needed to develop the character traits He desires for us!

For me, 2009 started off with BIG changes. I switched all of my classes to online this semester. They were pretty easy classes, so hopefully this won't be a change I regret. One of the biggest changes was starting a new job. I have really struggled with this. The job is quite easy, but those lurking feelings of inadequacy and not fitting in with other personality types has been quite stressful. I think this is probably common for most when starting new jobs or maybe I am just a "social dork". Something that has been really helping me during this transition period is a book I have been reading called Your Best Life Now by Joel Osteen. My dad is a fan of Joel, so I thought I would see what he really likes about him. I have found that I really like what he stands for. He is a great Godly man with such great biblical advice. His book has been such a blessing! It has completely changed my thinking on many different issues. I wanted to share this paragraph from his book that truly transformed my thinking. I guess this is something I have always known, but for some reason this time it spoke volumes to me.
p 209
God often allows you, too, to go through situations to draw out those impurities in your character. You can rebuke until your "rebuker" wears out. You can pray, you can resist, you can bind, you can loose, you can sing and shout, you can do it all, but it's not going to do any good! God is more interested in changing you that He is in changing your circumstances. And the sooner you learn to cooperate with God, the sooner you'll get out of that mess. The quicker you learn your lesson and deal with those bad attitudes and start ruling over your emotions, the quicker you'll go to the next level in your spiritual journey. We must recognize the refining purpose of trials. We can't run from everything that's hard in our lives.

I love that God knows me and loves me so much to allow me to go through hard situations to mold and refine me. Of course we have to be willing to open our hearts and eyes to see what He is trying to teach us. What is God using to teach you right now?

3 comments:

The Three Of Us said...

Wow...you said it all and then some...I really liked the exert from the book...it made perfect sense...I need to apply those words to my life consistently and I'm sure only positive will prevail...Your one of the strongest people I know...only good things will come your way...I know it!

Melissa said...

You inspire me and THAT is why I love YOU. God is using my children to challenge and prune me right now. They are the sweetest things ever, but as we all are they are also sinners and I need to learn how to love them in spite of their sins, forgive them and teach them as God has instructed me to. It is so hard for me to schedule our day so that we are all filled up and no one is denied time w/ Mommy and Mommy isn't denied time to refresh her batteries...so to speak. The Lord is showing me how to love selflessly and love without judgement and expectations...whew....this one is so difficult for me. Thank you for sharing your heart, for loving me and my family and setting an example for me in all that you do!

Angie said...

Boy, this is a good one (blog)! God is teaching me to trust in HIM and to see (with open eyes and heart) how He is moving among me and my family for His purposes. He is teaching me about REAL faith in uncertain circumstances. He is also teaching me to put aside legalism and rest in Truth.
Thank you for sharing your heart and being willing to be taught by the Lord, so that in turn, you can be an example for your family and friends!
Love you.

Newberry Bed&Breakfast

Newberry Bed&Breakfast