Friday, August 15, 2008

Waiting........

About a year ago, I went to work for a local restaurant as a "server"....I prefer the term "server", because "waitress" just sounds tacky! :-) The ten months spent at this restaurant were full of many eye opening experiences. For instance, I had completely underestimated what is involved in serving. It actually requires a good memory and can be physically exhausting. Also, in order to make good money, it is necessary to have exemplary interpersonal skills. During this time, I developed a new respect for anyone who deals with the general public!

There were those days which certain customers drove me crazy! I compiled a list of just a few of the many things that drive servers insane............

1. If you know a restaurant closes at 10.......then please don't come in at 9:59! Also, all consumption of food and useless chatting should come to an end upon closing time! Servers have lives too!

2. Is it really necessary to know the exact amount of ounces in every food item.....can't you see the other tables waiting?

3. Servers understand that toddlers can be messy, but did you have to order them spaghetti?

4. When ordering tea, can you please either order sweet or unsweet? Is it really necessary to order 1/2 sweet & 1/2 unsweet or 3/4 sweet & 1/4 unsweet? Yes, this is a common request!! Not sure why this one gets on my nerves so bad!?!

5. When taking a large group to a restaurant, expect a delay if all bills are separate tabs and each are paying with a credit card.

6. If you feel like "making out" during your entire meal, why not just eat and then go and get a room?

7. Please control your drinking! The law states servers are responsible for patrons who leave restaurants intoxicated......typical of our society--no one is responsible for their own actions. If you happen to have a little "buzz" cut yourself off......also, if intoxicated.....restaurants do not accept zoo memberships as form of payment. Yep...this actually happened.

8. Married men......with your wife and child present.......Do not leave your phone number on your bill for a cute, young server.........you are gross!!!

Ever waited tables???? Have any complaints to add to the list????






5 comments:

Melissa said...

-When your server approaches your table please be POLITE enough to quickly end your cell phone conversation OR tell the person on the phone to hold on one minute PLEASE!

-When communicating with your server PLEASE show them HUMAN KINDNESS and look at them while talking to them!

-Don't even get me started on tipping etiquette......

Melissa said...

If you have children.... Do them a great service and highly recommend that they wait tables at least once in their lifetime. They will learn SO much that books just can't teach about how different people can be and how to relate to all kinds of people.

Mandi said...

I was a server for many years. I always loved the one that said they did not like there food after it was all gone lol. I also did not like those who thought they were better than me just because I was waiting tables, truth be told I probally made more money than they did. It is very hard work to wait tables, I liked it guess that is why I did it for so many years. I liked the fast cash. May have to do it again, business needs to pick up lol.

MADDIE said...

Too funny.......Mel and Mandi both former servers put the two on the list I originally wrote, but decided to leave off......it is ok to look you server while talking to them and Don't judge a server....they probably make more money than you do!!!! I guess the same things really do drive all servers crazy!

Jeanne said...

I have never been a server, but had a really great friend in college that did that for years...and she made A LOT of money. She really taught me a ton about that life. And I have carried with me since then good customer habits...most of the time...especially the tipping thing...gotta tip your servers well, people!!!

Newberry Bed&Breakfast

Newberry Bed&Breakfast