Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Identify



The other day I was driving into school and came across a stand selling Obama t-shirts. I began thinking about the placement of this stand and how it was strategically placed in a predominately African American community. When I got to school, I noticed several students were wearing the t-shirts with a very large Obama head placed on the front. I started thinking about how we all have the need to identify with others. At times, most of us feel connected to groups of the same race, sex, age, religion, and many other areas. I thought about how I am in favor of Sarah Palin. I can identify with her in many areas. She is a woman, a mother who is parenting her pregnant teenage daughter (I also was a pregnant teenager), a woman who seeks after her dreams and loves her family at the same time, I could go on and on. So, I thought am I just for her (and McCain of course,yes I realize she is his running mate, but I was not this excited until she came along) or do I really have an understanding of what she stands for. Are the many people I come in contact with every day identifying with Obama because of his race or do they have a real understanding of what he stands for? I think it is better not vote at all than to go and vote simply because of a candidates appearance! We must educate ourselves on the issues at hand and vote for the person who has the qualities we want to lead our nation. This could be a huge turning point for America and much of what our nation was founded upon could be "changed".

All I am saying is look at the issues and vote for the person who stands for what you believe. Where do you stand with abortion rights, drilling for oil in the Artic National Wildlife Refuge, Same-sex marriages, the right to bear arms, health care and universal coverage, immigration, Iraq, Taxes, Social Security, the economy, and education? We cannot just vote based on age, race, gender, & charisma. Research where your candidate stands on these issues and then go and make an educated vote! Please....no hate comments.....this is just simply my opinion!!!!

5 comments:

The Three Of Us said...

christy..christy...christy...you are brave to bring up such a topic...and I expect nothing less from you....I look at each candidate's action plans...and how it will affect my family and friends...

Diana said...

I think the old addage is that you don't talk politics, religion, or money with friends. However, I think this is a time to be brave enough to toss that to the wind. Knowledge is power. I think it's a great post.

MADDIE said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
MADDIE said...

Yes, I do realize this is such a sensitive topic and one that we all kind of "tip toe" around....I am not trying to force my own political views upon anyone...just simply a "know your candidate" before you vote.

Melissa said...

precisely put and assertively presented. bravo, brava

Newberry Bed&Breakfast

Newberry Bed&Breakfast